I had just finished my day’s chores; successfully accomplished my subbing job, picked my older son from the bus stop, lifted few thousand pounds at the gym, picked-up my little one from his daycare. One thing was still baffling my mind was, “what are we going to have for dinner?” It’s a usual and loaded question in all households every evening.
Even before I could think of anything, my husband called to remind me. “We have lots of fresh spinach in the refrigerator, which would go bad if we don’t use within a day or two,” He said. Just before keeping the phone down, he said, “but, please don’t cook it. It looses all its nutritional value.”
Well, I was thankful to my husband that he opened a door for me but he closed the one and only window- “don’t cook.” What do I do with the spinach if I cannot cook it? I thought for a while and then I came up with a salad or solid concoction that I named — Indian Style Spinach Guacamole.
It was delish and we enjoyed it with the Spicy catfish and Quinoa.
Quarter red onion
Two cloves of garlic
One (ripe or very ripe) avocado
Big handful of Spinach
Half teaspoon of red pepper powder
One-fourth teaspoon of garam masala
Salt to taste
A small handful of coriander leaves
1. Finely chop the onions and put it in the lemon and salt solution in a big mixing bowl. Crush the two garlic cloves and put that in the mixture as well. Leave it for sometime.
2. Chop other ingredients; tomato avocado, spinach and coriander, as finely as possible.
3. Once you are ready to have your meal- add everything to the big bowl with onion, lemon and garlic.
4. Add the dry ingredients; pepper powder, garam masala. Mix everything really well with a spoon or spatula until it turns into a smooth, leafy mixture.
5. Taste and check if you need more salt, lemon, pepper or garam masala.
6. Serve it with Rice, Quinoa or Khus-khus with fish or potatoes on the side and enjoy.
Enjoy and have fun!!!
NOTE: Photos will be shared as soon as possible