“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.” — Ernestine Ulmer
If we are talking about a dessert like Crème Caramel, alternately known as Caramel Custard or Caramel Pudding or Flan then I won’t even regret skipping the main course. Crème Caramel is a heavenly sweet dish; one that guarantees to win you a lot of admirers. Believe me, it is easier to prepare this dish than repeating its name five times. Further down you’ll find an easy way of preparing this elegant dish.
I’m going to share with you the recipe of Caramel pudding as my dear dear friend Renju shared with me. She has helped me to make so many of my parties special. Her recipe has earned me respect and increased my worth in my Mother-in-law’s eyes. It will be unfair if do not stress on the fact that Renju and her recipe play a very important role in my life. Thanks again my friend. Oh! no, no, no… I am not getting over sentimental but you know what it is like to be appreciated by your mother-in-law. Okay, without further ado, I giveth you:
- 2 Whole green cardamoms
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
- 1 Can Condensed Milk
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 3-4 tsp water
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
2. Boil milk with cardamoms, keep stirring the milk to avoid scorching or burning. Once boiled, (bubbles start coming of its side) strain the milk and let it cool.
3. In a separate container beat the eggs and add vanilla essence to it.
4. Add condensed milk to the boiled (cooled down) milk. Keep stirring.
5. Finally add the egg mixture to the milk, slowly whisking the whole thing. (Optional) Add a tsp of orange zest to this mixture.
6. To Prepare the caramel, put sugar in a saucepan and keep it on fire. Keep stirring the sugar until it starts to melt and color changes to light brown. Once the color changes, take it off the stove and put water. Keep stirring it without stopping. If it get crusty add some more water and stir. If sugar burns, do it again.
7. Pour this caramel, spreading it evenly in the baking dish and then slowly pour the custard.
8. Prepare a water bath in dish bigger that the one in which you are going to bake your custard. To read more about water bath click or go to, http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/what-is-a-water-bath.htm
9. Bake it in the water bath for 40- 45mins.
10. Once baked, cool it in the refrigerator and just before serving run an knife along outside of the custard; put the serving dish on top; and invert. Let it stand for few minutes then remove the baking dish. Garnish it with few mint leaves or orange slices or strawberry and serve.
11. Relax and Enjoy the sweetness of your effort!!! (Or may be impress your mother-in-law.)